Thursday, January 11, 2007

Insert Witty First Blog Title Here

I decided to create a blog before I embark on this adventure that is Semester at Sea so that I wouldn't have to waste internet minutes picking out a fancy schmancy template. That's right folks, your favorite internetaholic and facebook addictee will not be able to peruse the internet with the same leisure that I do now. Afforded only 250 free minutes of "slow-as-death" (apparently half the speed of dial up- help!) internet, I will have to control my minute usage or be doomed to spending 40 cents a minute. Hmmm I think that money could be used more wisely- perhaps bringing back some souvenirs for you kiddos. So anyway, after a longwinded introduction as to why this exists, here I go...

I leave for Semester at Sea on February 3rd from Orlando, FL and fly to Nassau, Bahamas. On February 4th at 1000 (yes, I will have to master military time...) I will begin the boarding process onto the MV Explorer and the adventure will begin!

This is my itinerary:
-depart from NASSAU, BAHAMAS
-SAN JUAN, PUERTO RICO
-SALVADOR, BRAZIL
-CAPETOWN, SOUTH AFRICA
-PORT LOUIS, MAURITIUS
-CHENNAI, INDIA
-PENANG, MALAYSIA
-HO CHI MINH CITY, VIETNAM
-HONG KONG, CHINA
-QINDAO, CHINA
-KOBE, JAPAN
-HONOLULU, HAWAII
-arrive in SAN DIEGO and head home

Pretty exciting if I do say so myself!
While I'm "at sea" the classes (I know... what classes?!) will go on but at port we have that time to explore and go on excursions. The classes that I am taking are...

Global Studies: everyone takes this class, it's like the orientation class basically where we learn about all the different countries that we are visiting.
Cross Cultural Perspectives on Families: examining different family situations throughout the world and how families are constructed in the different countries we are visiting.
Human Reproduction: seems pretty straightforward to me, but what the hell, let's see what they have to say about it. No, just kidding, we're talking about family planning throughout the world and issues with reproduction as a global issue- right up my alley!
Gender, Class, Race, Ethnicity and Social Change: it's a mouthful but i'm sure it will be very interesting!

In each port we have the opportunity to go on different excursions. There are excursions that you can go on that are planned and coordinated by SAS but you can also do similar trips that you plan yourself. These independent trips are called "indy trips" and interest me. However, I did sign up to do a number of trips through semester at sea- I like the idea of having everything planned out for me although I know that there will probably be some negatives, just as if there would be if I planned out everything "indy."
These are the trips that I signed up for. (Pre-sale only, there are tons of other trips available but I don't have to decide until I actually board the ship... so this isn't all I'm planning on doing, don't worry!) I haven't found out yet but I should in just a few short days (decisions are sent out tomorrow, January 12th! Crossing my fingers...)
Puerto Rico:
Seven Seas Kayak- kayaking around some beautiful bays and taking a trip to see a mangrove tree mysteriously growing in the middle of the bay
Coastal Bike Eco-Adventure- biking on a boardwalk through the rainforest and then out towards the beaches with a scheduled swimming stop
(hopefully I develop my outdoorsy streak...)
Brazil:
Evening Camarote- Viewing Carnaval in style in a stilted tent to watch the passing parade up close and personal... complete with snack and OPEN bar.
South Africa:
Three Day Tented Safari to Kwazulu Natal- it's always been a dream of mine to go on a safari, now here's my chance!
India:
Rotarian Homestay- I will have the opportunity to stay with an Indian family and gain some firsthand experience with their cultures and traditions.
Vietnam:
Phan Thiet (don't even ask me how to pronounce that)- Taking a 3 day trip to a fishing village and exploring some of the most beautiful sand dunes in the world!

Like I said, I haven't found out if I'm actually scheduled for these trips yet, nor are these all the options available. I'll keep you posted on the other trips I'm planning on (such as kayaking and snorkeling in Mauritius and helping out at an orphanage in India) and whether I got into these trips.

Ok I think that's long enough... phew!
Ciao, K-lee

No comments: