Sunday, February 4, 2007

Hello Friends and Family!

I just wanted to post really quickly to say that we have successfully EMBARKED on our voyage. Mom and Doc and I got to the Bahamas yesterday around 4ish (like they say—time in the Bahamas doesn’t really matter). We took a cab ride from the airport and found our hotel- the Quality Inn. It was… well let’s just say 3 stars was being incredibly generous. But no worries, we were in the BAHAMAS. We took a short walk over to Senor Frogs and I had my first (legal) strawberry dacquiri. It was really cool because it’s right on the water and you could see the water underneath the floors. We ordered up so delicious fried food and listened to drunk people singing karaoke (around 5pm… good times.) Then we went back to the hotel and I called Lydia (who is also an Alleghenian) and we met up around 7:30 at her hotel on Paradise Island (famous for the Atlantis). So we met up for a little while and then went back to our hotel.
This morning Mom and Doccie and I went to a little Bahamian restaurant for breakfast and then dragged my crazy-heavy bags (93 lbs total… eek!) to the insanely long line. I got onto the ship (MV Explorer by the way) and found my way to my room. After some struggles with my ID card (my key for everything) I finally got into my room. I also found Professor Maniates (aka Dean Maniates, a poli-sci prof from Allegheny but who is the Dean for SAS this semester… cool!) I got off the boat and found my parents and then got back on (this was all overwhelming and a total blur… I didn’t really meet anyone but was kind of walking around in a group of similarly confused group of people). I said goodbye to Doccie and my mom went to get in line to board the ship with some other eager parents.
Around 2:30 I found my Mom and we explored the ship a little bit, found my room, FINALLY met my roommate, Noopur (from UConn and a fellow New Englander, yay!). Mom met Dean Maniates and then we said some (a little bit teary) goodbyes. I was finally on my own!
I unpacked a little and explored a little and met some really cool girls on my hall.
We left right after our lifeboat drill (which was painfully boring, I must say.) We had to stand in a dining hall for about 45 minutes wearing these RIDICULOUS life vests (bright orange obviously) and had to be silent. (Don’t worry, there are a few pictures of us looking gorgeous, obviously!)
Then we watched the ship pull away from Prince George Wharf in the Bahamas and our now on our way to Puerto Rico. Already it is moving so fast! I can look out the window and see the Ocean moving quickly by us.

Alright, I’ve gotta get in the insanely long line for dinner and then meat my Sea-mates (aka people on my hall).
Bon Voyage!
Love,
K-lee

1 comment:

Dado said...

Ahoy!
I sent off four emails today to your Allegheny email address. I hope you got them or will get them soon.

I think this is a great way to commun.

Back at you soon! Love, Dado